[geeks] Netra T1 Disk Limits?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jul 14 15:42:56 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 01:15:56PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Like this:
>
> http://www.scsi4me.com/norco-ds-1240-12-bay-hot-swappable-rackmount-infiniband-multilane-3-5-sata-hard-drive-storage-array.html?osCsid=ef8ffd7f7b4f957f6d7e0f47468f641c
>
> A 12 port SATA JBOD that is 'fed" by three Infinband connections on the back?
>
> $50-60/drive bay doesn't seem *that* expensive...
>
> $350 for a 4 bay version from Sans Digital:
>
> http://www.scsi4me.com/sans-digital-elitestor-es104t-4-bay-1u-rackmount-esata-to-sata-storage-system.html

I was aware of the first one, which is where I got the idea in the first
place.  12 drives is more than I'd need and that is a very expensive
case though.

I wasn't aware of the second unit.  That looks perfect, except it is
more than I can justify spending to make it a rack instead of a tower
(and 4 bay tower kits that use infiband aren't that expensive, plus you
can retro fit a non-hotswap SCSI tower cheaply).

> >> Another idea would be to retro-fit a SATA backplane into a SCSI-based
> >> system, a simple drop-in SATA backplane wouldn't be that hard, just a
> >> mash-up of the existing SCA SCSI backplane with the SCA SCSI
> >> connectors scrubbed off, and the SATA connections simply run off to a
> >> standard SATA connector...
> >
> >That should be a fairly simple project for some small systems.  For
> >larger boxes (like the 711), the size of the PCB would make it rather
> >expensive.
>
> I would prefer to see this as a vendor upgrade option, wherein SUN
> would take their original tooling for the SCSI backplane, and simply
> replace SCA SCSI connectors with SATA data & power connectors, simply
> running them to conventional SATA ports to be fed to third-party RAID
> cards...

If they were to do that, I bet they would charge about 3 arms and 2 legs.