[geeks] Plunge: NEC display on the way

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jan 3 14:55:47 CST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 03:19:50PM -0500, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> However, I still cannot color calibrate correctly.  It's a lot better
> than the Samsung, light years better, but it still won't quite go right.
>
> I open the calibrator, and it is impossible to set brightness low
> enough to make the apple logo disappear, which is what you are
> supposed to do.

What the really high end displays end up doing is sticking enough dark
glass in front that most of the light leak is filtered out that way.

> I guess what I really need is a colorimeter, but until I find one
> used, I'll deal with this.

The Pantone Huey devices are pretty darn cheap.  The main complaints I
see about them are that they aren't suitable for print or projection (so
calibrate a LCD/Plasma/CRT/OLED, but not your printer), and that their
software is a bit overly newbish.

The Huey Pro is just over $90 on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OFC1YY