[geeks] Quick Photo Manipulation Program

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sun Feb 24 19:57:40 CST 2008

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> Does any one have a suggestion for a program that would excel at opening
> photos and cropping, scaling, and rotating them on OSX?  Preferably a
> gui program, not cli.  And it needs to be fairly fast, and not try to
> take over managing my photos.  Free is fairly highly prefered.
>
> A few answers that I don't consider acceptable are:
> Photoshop (full or elements)
> PaintShop Pro
> Gimp
> iPhoto
>
> Photoshop and Gimp aren't fast enough (I don't want to wait several
> minutes just to rotate/scale/crop), I don't want PSP, and iPhoto insists
> on loading everything into it's library.
>
> I've spent a little time looking, but I can't seem to find anything that
> is clearly right.  I suppose I could try the demo of pixelmator, but is
> seems a shame to spend $60 for such a simple task.

You could try xv, which will do all of those, though it doesn't scale
images as cleanly as Gimp.

If all you want to do is rotate a photo without making other changes to
it, I'd use jpegtran.  It's cli, but it can rotate jpegs losslessly.

--
   Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
   alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
           It's not the years, it's the mileage.