[geeks] UnPaypal?

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Wed Feb 20 14:55:51 CST 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 07:39:31AM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I think Western Union has/had such a service, they called it an
> escrow service IIRC...

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I don't think it's a
Western Union escrow service.

First, Western Union's faq says --

 6.  Does Western Union offer an escrow service or any kind of buyer protection?
     Western Union does not offer an escrow service or any type of
     "purchase protection" policy.

And in the case of buying stuff online, escrow basically means a
middle man who verifies that both parties of the transaction live up
to their obligations (and this often includes inspecting any
merchandise sold) before money is released and the merchandise is sent
to the recipient.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_escrow

As far as paypal goes, I've heard the horror stories, but haven't had
any myself.  But still, I won't link it to my `real' checking account.
Right now it's just linked to a credit card, and if that turns out to
not be good enough, I'll open a checking account just for paypal and
transfer money back and forth to that, keeping the account almost
empty unless I'm about to use it.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
Eagles may fly, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.