[geeks] Playstation 3 + HD-DVD

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 12:57:59 CST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008 1:00 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:
> Francois Dion wrote:
> > I'm late in the thread, but there's another HDDVD "budget" option:
> >
> > I just saw that the Toshiba HD-A35 is approaching $200 (with 7
> > movies)... Having witnessed the HD-dvd playback of the xbox360 and
> > a35, the a35 is just in a league of its own. Plus discrete 5.1 analog
> > out. Much etter image than A3, and even A30, and does a better job of
> > upconverting DVDs than my htpc will ever do, without investing way
> > more than $200. A lot of people are saying it gives a similar image
> > quality on regular DVD as an Oppo DV-981 (about $250). Decent
> > upconverting DVD players are in the $150-$250 range... I'm tempted.
> > Worse case scenario, hd-dvd gets discontinued, I still have a good
> > upconverting player.
>

> Judging by recent news, the format war is all but over, and HD-DVD is
> losing it.  The latest is Best Buy has lined up behind Blu-Ray and will
> reportedly no longer sell HD-DVD.

Sridhar already had a PS3. I was suggesting the A35 instead of trying
to hack the xbox drive on a ps3, if that could ever be made to work.
The alternative, is a samsung bluray + hddvd combo player. But these
are $800. And similar output quality bluray units (like the panny) is
also $800. You can buy a lot of movies for that price difference...
You can then wait until high quality bluray players are sub $200.

The Toshiba A35 has a network connection and firmware can be updated.
It would be cool if you could stream movies from the network.