[geeks] Intel D201GLY (mini-ITX) video success

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Feb 8 13:48:02 CST 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 12:20:42PM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> You may remember I got this $60+ dollar INtel MB with Celeron CPU
> installed a while ago, but was frustrated with the inability to get
> graphics greater than 800x600 in Ubuntu. Well, I dug the machine out
> and tried a few things, and I have had success!
>
> What is involved is running the "vesa" driver, not the auto-detected
> "sis" driver. Once I did that and restarted X11 (ctrl+alt+backspace)
> and was able to select 1280x1024 with no noise/artifacts on the
> display.
>
> This makes me very happy - I was going to run Ubuntu Server on the
> board, but now I can run Desktop and have a nice, local desktop to
> work with...

What about speed?  The last time I tried vesa mode on a card was
dreadfully slow at redrawing programs like firefox or playing video.

> Thought others here might be interested - I'm going to swap in the
> newer version of this MB[0] this weekend, and I suspect this same
> "trick" will work with that board as well (which would be great, as
> that board has 2x SATA II ports, making a more useful board IMHO).

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4842002&cmp=AFC-CJ_CBIT#

Have you looked at that?  This is not the board from the gOS machines.
Instead of 2 PCI slots, it is 1 PCI slot and 1 PCI-e slot (16x physical
it looks like).

I really like the looks of that board.  I especially like that it should
work with an ATI x300-x850 or Geforce 7x00.