[geeks] Cheap Dell Servers

Fri Feb 8 11:07:08 CST 2008

> on single disks i try to match heads with real heads [again for no
> good reason], but i jigger cyls and secs to minimize inaccessible
> space.  i even wrote a ksh prog that generates possible geometries
> given the disk size in raw blocks.

An FFS's size does not have to be an integral number of cylinders.  The
only need for inaccessible space is if the last cg ends before the end
of its cg summary data, in which case FFS drops that cg.

Or, I suppose, if your OS is outdated, dogmatic, confused, (pick your
adjective) enough to insist that all disks must have an integral number
of cylinders.  (My disks usually have a partial last cylinder according
to the disklabel values; provided I don't try to put anything in the
nonexistent space, I've never had any problem from this.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca