[geeks] Cheap Dell Servers

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 14:50:07 CST 2008

Those cheap Dell servers that people have been picking up lately...  do
their motherboards conform to a standard form-factor or are they
something proprietary?

The reason why I ask is that I've found a case which has 9 (!) 5.25"
open drive bays in the front for less than $110 shipped.  I'd love to be
able to throw a few hundred dollars at the problem to get a solution as
beefy as an 8-core Xeon.

I'm building an extensible NAS box.  I'll be able to fit up to fifteen
1TB SATA drives in this thing, five at a time.

Peace...  Sridhar