[geeks] Rebates (was: I was wrong (big 2.5" PATA drives))

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Wed Feb 6 12:12:21 CST 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:39:57PM -0500, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> My success rate really varies depending on the type of products and who is
> giving the rebate.
>
> For manufacturers from Asia, it's less than 50%, so I was roughly cutting
> it in half.
>
> Most of the stores in the USA honor theirs, but the manufacturer rebates
> are usually where I get shafted.

I probably should also mention that about 75% of the stuff with
rebates that I buy I bought at Frys, and if the manufacturer dicks you
around on the rebate, you can just bring your paperwork up to Fry's
and they'll generally fix it -- and in some cases, if they can't,
they'll just give you the money themselves.  I've only had to do this
twice, however -- once they got Seagate to pay my rebate, and the
other time they just gave me the money for a rebate, forget who the
vendor was.

Looks like the rest came from Best Buy, Buy.com, Office Depot, Wal
Mart, Circuit City, CompUSA (good riddance, but their e-rebates
weren't bad).  But even then, I've usually gotten my rebates.

Looking at my rebates spreadsheet, I've done 99 rebates in the last 28
months for a total of $2066.  It also looks like it's time to follow
up on all my Black Friday rebates, as only one or two of them have
arrived ...

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicke