[geeks] Flicker users u in arms over MS acquisition...

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Feb 4 13:51:15 CST 2008

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> That is not the proper function of business.
>
> Business is merely one tool of many for the operation of a civilization.
>
> A business which focuses only on profit is a broken business.
>
> It's not sustainable to operate that way, and it does a lot of
> unacceptable damage even if it were.

I think it is sustainable if you focus on long term profit, not short
term.  Forming good relationships with partners, employees, competitors,
suppliers, and customers allows you to flourish long term.  Screwing
everyone might squeeze out an extra buck in the short term, but there
will come a time when nobody is willing to work with you because of your
history of screwing everyone.  You can draw a parallel to this in almost
anything (slash and burn, rape and pillage, etc.).  Some people just
don't seem to get it.  If you focus on long term profit, you realize
that you are responsible to everyone your business contacts, because
your business depends on every one of them.  Start screwing any of them,
and things will start falling apart.

    -Dan Sikorski