[geeks] EDI, COBOL and fixed fields...

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Sat Feb 2 02:04:20 CST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 11:09 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Sounds like you could have used a bit of COBOL in your solution - I'm
> *positive* you can access Oracle databases from inside COBOL. I've
> doen a
> little bit of work with VSAM files - that's a fun technology...

One of the suggestions was to license a COBOL compiler for Solaris.
Due to office politics the Java developers got on the ball. They were
also able to make their app multi-threaded (read in 16 lines at a
time and parsed 'em on their own thread) to match the CPU count of
the 15K domain we created for them.

-Jon