[geeks] Upper Memory Limit - Java

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 10:24:45 CST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 12:44 AM, Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2008, at 9:01 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
> >> From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> >> Date: 2008/01/31 Thu AM 10:05:27 CST
> >> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> >> Subject: Re: [geeks] Upper Memory Limit - Java

> >> Why would they pollute EDI with XML?

Fixed length is not best suited for multi level relational, such as
configured orders (made to order) where on top of this the transmitted
fields are variable, or BOMs (bill of material), for example. Also,
most companies still transact X12 edi, like 850, for example. And
trust me, an XML configured order is an order of magnitude better than
getting an order that was shoehorned in an 850. You also have to deal
with a bunch of different translation layers. In the end though, the
customer is always right, so you end up dealing with every format
known in the universe and map to a lingua franca that all your
internal systems can deal with.

Francois