[geeks] Ya-HoooooO!

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Fri Feb 1 10:12:04 CST 2008

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 09:00:33AM -0500, hike wrote:

| everything M$ touches ends up sucking

I realize that it's popular to say this, perhaps especially here, but
you do have to be aware that it's not really true, right?

The vast majority of Microsoft's suckage comes from a few specific
products, mostly Windows and Office.

As for a few Microsoft non-suckages --

-- I was very happy with my Microsoft Z-80 card.  It let me use Turbo
   Pascal on my Apple ][+!

-- Their computer mice are generally high quality and inexpensive.

-- Their computer gaming hardware (joysticks, joypads, etc.) is
   generally good to high quality as well.

-- I never cared for their keyboards, but others love them.

-- People like to bash the Xbox and Xbox 360, but in general I'd say
   the Xbox 360 (and related things like Xbox Live) seems to be doing
   well.  Not perfectly, but well.

-- Many of the games, both computer and console, that have come out of
   Microsoft (or companies they have acquired) have been very good.

-- I've found msnbc.com to be less heinous than most other similar
   news sites.  (I know, high praise!)

-- The Zune doesn't suck.  It's just mediocre compared to it's
   competition.

I guess as long as you avoid Microsoft Windows/Vista, you're good!
(and without Windows, you can't run Office, the source of most of the
rest of Microsoft's suckage.)

As for Yahoo, meh.  I never cared about Yahoo.  I guess a lot of my
friends and familiy use Yahoo Chat, and so I do too, but I don't see
how Microsoft could really ruin that.  It's not like I use their
client anyways ...

I guess I might care if they ruined all the mailing lists that ended
up at groups.yahoo.com though.

Should be interesting.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
The earth is like a tiny grain of sand, only much, much heavier.