[geeks] Wow, PCs are cheap...

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 15:41:27 CDT 2008

On Aug 28, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> From: Nadine Miller <velociraptor at gmail.com>
>> Date: 2008/08/28 Thu PM 02:17:58 EDT
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [geeks] Wow, PCs are cheap...
>
> <snip>
>
>> Further investigation of the Foxconn mobo at insanelymac revealed
>> some
>> unresolved issues.  So I'm still guessing that building something
>> from
>> scratch is the path I'll take when I get some funds together.
>>
>> So far my investigations have given me this short list:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Intel DG31PR (must add video card to get CI/QE)
>
> What about the Intel DG33BUC? [0]

My "short list" is not the be-all end-all of what'll work, it's just a
list of boards that are sub-$75 (actually sub-$60 iirc) and well-
supported.  Though I could definitely use a "better" x86 box now that
I've been forced to put the NAS/web test server on a pair of Athlon
900's, I'm still going to be minimizing costs after I get a job, since
we need to rebuild our savings.

FWIW, take the hcl with a grain of salt as, IMO, it's not very well-
kept.  Generally, I tend to do a google search like:
site:insanelymac.com "motherboard model" and do a quick scan of the
resulting threads to get the quickest idea of whether something is
supported or not.

=Nadine=