[geeks] Wow, PCs are cheap...

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Aug 29 10:30:55 CDT 2008

On Aug 29, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> There used to be a small utility program that directed soundcard
> output to the case speaker, but that was back in the Win 3.1 era...
>
> The only time I've missed it was when I had an extra wiring jumper
> from the chassis I had no place to connect it to...
>
> Like you said about the custom PCs, I have a Dell USFF (Ultra Small
> Form Factor) PC that has full audio that comes out of the chassis -
> it is an Optiplex GX620. It's a pretty nice machine actually - it
> can take 4 Gigs of RAM, a 9xx series CPU, and a "full size" half-
> height 3.5" IDE HD - about the size of half-loaf of rye bread. It
> really suprised me when a flash soundtrack played when I didn't
> have any speakers attached!

For office machines, that is a really nice feature.

Actually, I use the onboard speaker on my Mac alot.  First, I have
error and email sounds directed to it all the time.  Also, it handles
everything when I have the USB audio turned off, which I leave off
anytime I'm not listening to music or watching video.