[geeks] Wow, PCs are cheap...

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Aug 28 16:23:09 CDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 03:02:11PM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:
> I'd guess Bill has found it as easy as it's been to get it up and going on
> an EeePC:

Pretty much.  I just used the Kalyway 10.5.2 install DVD and then added the
GMA950 fixed drivers on afterwards.

Roached it doing the 10.5.3 update, but I'm going to give it another try
tonight.  No audio yet, but that's just another driver issue.

I bought this board, and put a gig of RAM into it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121342

and this case: (too big, but it was only $25 shipped)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360080709143

along with an 80G Seagate SATA drive ($37) and a Lite-On DVD burner ($25).

If this works out, I have a $200 "Mac" to dink around on at work to replace
the PPC G4 Mini I have there now.  I've already got a Core2Duo Mac Mini at
home.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford