[geeks] Windows/XP/SP3 corrupt cab file problems

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Sun Aug 24 09:24:47 CDT 2008

Quoth Geoffrey S. Mendelson ...

> I tried to update a computer running XP Pro Corporate, SP2 to
> SP3 using
> the downloadable SP3 update CD image. This is the last one, from May.
>
> When I ran the update, I got a message about being unable to
> read cabinet
> files. I searched for the message on the web and found that
> someone had
> as similar problem and Microsoft had fixed it by having him
> move certain .cab files.
>
> It did not work for me, so I must have other corrupt cab files.
>
> I waited a while hoping since it was a common problem,
> Microsoft would come
> out with an improved SP3 with a broken cabinet file detector. No new
> version has come out. :-(
>
> Anyone have any ideas on how to find them and what to do?
>
> Have you had any luck getting this error and then having
> software update install SP3 sucessfully?

Just a data point ... Within the last month, I downloaded the ISO from the
Misrosoft site, burned a CD, and updated a machine with that CD.  No
problems at all.

Are you sure you got the right image?  There seem to be several on the MS
site; some seem intended as part of some updating system.  The one I used
was clearly intended as a standalone update CD.

Since I didn't have any trouble, I have no ideas beyond that, I'm sorry to
say.

-Shel