[geeks] Wow, PCs are cheap...

james james at jdfogg.com
Fri Aug 22 21:37:31 CDT 2008

> In the end, he got a Dell Vostro 200 spec'd as listed:
>
> E7200 CPU (2x 2.53 GHz, 3 MB cache, 1066 FSB)
> 4 GB RAM
> 250 GB HD
> 22" Widescreen Analog flat panel
> 16x DVD-R/W
> Vista Home Basic
>
> All for $599 with free shipping (they have a $100 off
> promotion, along with free shipping at Dell), $641 w/tax.
> I'll likely blast Vista off the HD and go with Windows XP
> Pro SP3, and this thing will likely *scream*, and be more
> than adequate for years to come. The base system has
> integrated video (Intel GMA 3100), but will accept regular
> PCIe 16x video cards...

I got a similarly configured Vostro (400 I think) about 6
months ago. It's my Winders desktop (running XP). I use it
constantly and often run 6 or more heavy applications
simultaneously. I have never had to reboot it, and it only
gets turned off a few times a year. The wide monitor was a
bit hard to get used to, but it seems natural now.

It replaced a Dell PowerEdge 600SC that I got when they
discontinued them and sold them cheap with a 2.4Ghz CPU and
it now has 2G of memory. It is now my main Linux desktop. It
spends a lot of time powered down since it's noisy.

I've had luck with cheap Dells. I don't know how whitebox
vendors stay in business.