[geeks] New Intel Atom-based barebones system

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Aug 20 11:45:46 CDT 2008

" From: jodys at helluin.org
"
" On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 09:34:22AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
" > At $WORK we just finished rebuilding our data center (6 full size Dell
" > racks, with three relay racks and two Symmetra cabinets), and when we
" > went to put the racks back in place (after re-running all the power
" > lines), we were suprised to find that half our servers were running on
" > 220V, not 110. Auto-switching PS worked out great, allowed us to save
" > on PDU hardware, but it was a bit of a suprise.
"
" Autoswitching is great. Cutting down on the density of PDUs/circuits is
" awesom in the DC. Rather than needing 6 120V/20a circuits/PDUs in a
" cabinet, you can get away with 2 208/30a circuits. This is a win from a
" cabling perspective, it also cuts down on under floor obstructions.

back in the days when folks thought they needed their desktops UPSed,
i had the semi-brilliant idea of running a 240v ckt to nema6-15
hospital [eg. orange or yellow] outlets, 1 per cube.  with appropriate
cords computers would happily plug in, but lusers would be discouraged
from also adding their coffee warmers to the load.

btw afaik us power can be 110v - 125v, 220v - 250v, 440v - 480v [at
least], and that's just 1ph.

iirc 208v 3ph is 3 110-125v 1ph legs.