[geeks] New Intel Atom-based barebones system

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Aug 20 09:11:17 CDT 2008

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za>
> "
> " > []
> "
> " I *think* my weird method of measurement measures VA, but that
> " assumption may be false! Luckily, no one on list has commented on
> " it. (I measured DC current on my multimeter since it couldn't measure
> " AC, and had to use a bridge rectifier)
> "
> " > []
> "
> " What sort of power factor (ball park) do computer power supplies have?
>
> they're all smps these days, so i'd expect
> 1. the first component after the power plug and protection components
>    is probably a bridge rectifier
> 2. probably no big filter caps
> 3. the pf is probably close to 1.  i'm not sure they could claim the
>    high efficiencies at all power levels they do with a low pf
>
> your measurement scheme could be quite accurate.

I believe many power supplies designed in the last five years have much
lower power factors.  Ironically, my father and I were talking about
exactly this about a week ago, but I don't recall the details of the
conversation.  I believe he said most current-design power supplies,
particularly for datacenter equipment, should be expected have a pf
around 0.6 to 0.7.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.