[geeks] New Intel Atom-based barebones system

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Mon Aug 18 04:55:58 CDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 02:23:22PM -0500, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:
> Hey, I've been following this discussion and one of these is looking
> very interesting to me. What I'm not certain about is if these Atom
> based motherboards can run a 64 bit Linux distribution - say, Ubuntu
> 7.1? I want to run the VLM that is "out there" but find that VMWare on
> my Macbook is just too slow for practical use. As this would be the
> only application I'd be using the box for, I'd really prefer something
> as inexpensive as possible.

The Atom 230 supports x86_64, but it seems the N and Z series models don't
[1]. At least one member of this list is running Debian amd64 on an Atom
system AFAIK.

I'm surprised you say that VMware is too slow - do you have a Core Duo
MacBook perhaps? I find it runs well on my Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverthorne_(CPU)

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner