[geeks] identifying file with weak sectors?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 17 09:15:26 CDT 2008

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2008/08/16 Sat PM 06:09:51 EDT
>To: geeks list <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] identifying file with weak sectors?

>I have about 7 gig of MP3's I want to back up to DVD ROM's.
>
>When I do it, it creates a "weak sector" file, which can not be read.

What is that?

>I've seen this with CD-ROM's, but never with DVD's. However since there
>are hundreds of MP3's, I can't figure out which file(s) cause the problem.

Are you making a backup or an archive for random access? Could you not use a backup program and save the files as a backup that spans DVD-R media? If you are looking to create a DVD you canpop in a drive and access individual files from, that may not be practical (I could see wanting to avoid installing restore software in various machines)...

Lionel