[geeks] New Intel Atom-based barebones system

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Aug 16 21:17:10 CDT 2008

On Aug 16, 2008, at 18:10 , wa2egp at att.net wrote:

>> This would seem to support my numbers being accurate, not refute it.
>>

> I was just thinking that some of the quoted numbers were too high.

You mean mine?

I'm fairly certain they are accurate, and it agrees with what Apple
says.  They say 250 watts with all CPUs engaged in a processor and
memory intensive operation.

The new Xeon CPUs are a lot less power than what I have.  Almost makes
you wonder if you could save money by trading in your current Mac Pro
for a newer one.

Probably not, but they are less power hungry.

> Funny with this discussion of power since I'm typing on a old
> Powerbook which draws less than 45 watts. About the same as an old
> IPX. :)

...and old IPX with no monitor, sure.  But with one of those big Sun
monitors hooked up to it... :)