[geeks] javascript tutorial sought?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Aug 12 11:00:03 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:48:48AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:

> Actually, my only reason for wanting to do it as something even vaguely
> Webby is that the only other option I'm aware of is to make it a
> standalone Windows application, and even I am not crazy enough to try
> to do that without a Windows development box.  I'm sure there are
> plenty of options I'm missing; anything you'd suggest I look into?

There is Adobe AIR or Flash.  However, I don't think they open up the
networking abilities much further.

Another possibility would be to use mingw32 as a cross compiler and wine
as a test environment.

Implementing javascript and java doesn't in the browser does not sound
like a very good idea.

Using java in the browser doesn't sound great.

If I was dead set against doing this in a plain web browser, I would
probably go for a stand alone java program.