[geeks] javascript tutorial sought?

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Aug 12 09:13:42 CDT 2008

>> I want to build a card-game client [in javascript].

> Do you understand javascript the language, networking and images
> aside?

I don't know.  I think I mostly have a handle on it, but I could be
deluding myself.

> First, you can't open arbitrary network connections in the web
> browser.  You can only open http connections to the server that
> delivered the web page.

Only HTTP, or only port 80?  If the former, how much do they have to
look like HTTP?  The webpage you cite makes it appear RPCish, which
would be..ugly..to turn into what I'm after.  (I really don't want to
have to layer TCP atop HTTP, especially since it's not clear there's
any way for the server to get the client's attention asynchronously.)

I basically want to turn the web browser into a (very specialized)
"termnial emulator" designed to support card games rather than text
"console" applications.  Perhaps JavaScript is a wrong approach?

> If at all possible, I'd stick with using CSS, even if that means
> pre-rendering a bunch of sprites.

I currently have _no_ handle on CSS.  Perhaps I need to change that.

> None of the books I've looked at have really been targeted as
> Javascript for People Who Already Know Lisp/Python/Other Dynamic
> Language And Just Want To Know How To Do The Cool Stuff Rather Than
> Treat As A Dumbed Down Language.

Yeah, that sounds like what I want. :)  I found a couple of webpages
that (thought they) were "javascript tutorial for programmers" things,
but they still gave only the basics.  Slightly more than the
"javascript tutorial for total ignorami" ones, but still not enough to
be useful to me.

> Of course, that would make an awful title anyway.

:-)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org