[geeks] javascript tutorial sought?

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 05:35:36 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:23 PM, der Mouse <mouse at rodents-montreal.org> wrote:
> I'm looking for a javascript tutorial.  But not just any JS tutorial
> will do; I've done some searching and found a lot of them, but if any
> of them outline what I need, I'm missing them.
>
> I want to build a card-game client.  This means I need to handle images
> (mostly the cards, but not entirely) and network connections.  There's
> nothing here that I couldn't do perfectly well in C for X, and indeed
> I'll have a version in C for X, but I want a version that runs on a
> Windows machine

Why not java? the 2d api is fairly simple. Image and ImageIO might be
usefull if you have the cards already rendered. I've also used
com.sun.image.codec.jpeg but that's sometimes frowned upon because
it's not really documented and you get a warning that in the future
this might not be available blahblahblah. And then, with Netbeans 6
and the integrated UI designer (Matisse) it's like an order of
magnitude easier to do really nice looking java swing apps compared to
what it was before. And then Java gives you the choice of either
making a webstarted app, or a downloadable client.

Oh, and if you like the Sun Nimbus theme (I do), you can use the
Nimbus L&F now in the JDK :
http://jasperpotts.com/blog/category/nimbus/

Francois