[geeks] Help: Copying an entire drive under Windows?

Eric Railine erailine at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 05:10:50 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 2:26 AM, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> I need to copy the ENTIRE contents of a system's hard drive to another
> (external) drive under Windows Vista 32-bit Business edition.

Are you trying to copy the system drive or just a data drive?   Locked
files are always the problem unless the tool is VSS-aware.

> xxclone doesn't run under Vista.

Why not boot off a rescue/BartPE disk and run it from there?

For rsync on Windows, there's cwrsync:  http://www.itefix.no/i2/node/10650
and DeltaCopy:  http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp

> It looks like MS's "SyncToy" will do what I want.

I've used that, too.  It's not bad.  I think both it & rsync will not
copy locked files though.

-Eric