[geeks] Internet car buying

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Aug 8 19:53:10 CDT 2008

" From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
"
" Shannon Hendrix wrote:
" > Does anyone have any experiences with or recommendations for Internet
" > car buying sites?
" >
" > I'm looking for a recent model used hatchback of some kind, and the
" > traditional method is not coming up with good hits.
"
" Honestly, we found our Volvo XC70 on Craigslist.  True, you just have to
" keep your eyes open and watch out for what you want, but it's a heck of
" a lot easier and cost us a lot less than the Big Shiny Internet Car
" Dealer sites.

i found my cherokee on craigslist also, and got a great deal even
after the bits of fixing it needed [as measured by bluebook value].
but i'd also been looking nationally and gradually winnowed down to
just autotrader and cars.com as having the best selection at any one
time, and i located another cherokee for my gf through autotrader.

cutting a long adventure story short - it's yellow.  there were only 7
listed nationwide and this was the closest, in nc ~750 miles from nh,
and the 'dealer' turned out to be a trailer on a little dirt patch
with maybe a dozen cars.

that was 2 years ago last easter and she's still very happy with it.
we've seen only 3 other yellow cherokees since, and one had company
graphics on it.  curiously, 1 of the 3 was within a mile of her house.