[geeks] blastwave

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Aug 6 20:50:42 CDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 07:48:46PM -0500, Michael Parson wrote:

> >It may be time for a new project.  I like Sunfreeware and use them the
> >most, but I think they aren't keeping up, both in breadth and currency.
>
> Agreed, but who has the time/bandwidth to do it?

I don't think bandwidth is really the issue.

Potentially we could use something like App Engine to setup a round
robin downloading system like SourceForge has, so several of us could
share the bandwidth.

Also, to some extent it may be possible to stash a few of the more
popular small packages on app engine, things like wget, tar, bzip2,
etc.

I think that time is, as you say, a problem though.  Still, if some
standards could be worked out, there are a few things we could copy from
the nekoware project, such as having multiple maintainers, keeping old
versions around, and encouraging casual submission.  One thing I'd like
to see done differently would be to encourage the use of SunStudio while
not absolutely requiring it.