[geeks] WiFi WarDriving

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 4 12:31:22 CDT 2008

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2008/08/03 Sun PM 11:50:11 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] WiFi WarDriving

>On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 03:34:39PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Honestly, I'm suprised how easy/quick it was to set up and do.
>
>It gets worse. Here we have a similar situation with "siemens". The local
>telephone company had a deal where you could get a siemens wireless router
>for 10 NIS ($3) a month for 2 years, and if you were a good customer, free.
>
>They came out of the box with no encryption or authentiation. While I
>don't recommend that your average user use any authentication, I do
>recommend any encryption, even 40/64 bit WEP.

Comcast rolls out home WiFi with random-looking security strings (40/64 bit I think, not sure - I think we had a 25 character string?), but the user ID and password are consistent across their installs, so once I found my user id and password for my "comcast-supplied" router, I cna log into most neighbors boxes and futz with their settings...

I was able to map my results from my wardrive yesterday (150 miles +/- from Central NJ to Northwest CT), and I was amazed where I picked up some access points (across long yards/pastures)...

Lots of "BELKIN", "LINKSYS", and "NETGEAR" SSIDs with no, I say no protection...

Lionel
The User ID / password is easily googled...

Lionel