[geeks] WiFi WarDriving

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Mon Aug 4 12:40:15 CDT 2008

Quoth Lionel Peterson ...

> I woke up this morning and decided I was going to try my hand
> at WarDriving - somethng I've never actually done before, but
> I figured it should be easy.

It's easier now that it was a few years ago, but it wasn't all that tough
then.

I did it on one of my usual routes through Seattle, and counted 50 open WAPs
on downtown streets _before_ I got to the street that runs between a couple
of University dormitories.  There, I had to turn NetStumbler's sound off
lest it blow out the speakers on my laptop.  I think you could have found
signals there by just skewering a hotdog on your car antenna and seeing
which side of it sizzled first.

Later, we rigged up a dish and tried to find open WAPs on the Seattle
waterfront from my deck, on the other side of Puget Sound.  We found a few,
but we were also able to get a login page from the boat-wide WiFi system on
a passing cruise liner.

We dubbed this "war sitting."

-Shel