[geeks] Dell T105 drive bay fan

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 25 09:01:26 CDT 2008

On Apr 25, 2008, at 09:26 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>> Date: 2008/04/24 Thu PM 07:45:20 CDT
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [geeks] Dell T105 drive bay fan
>
> <snip>

>>> And the self-made fan/shroud at three-times the cost is what???
>>
>> ...is whatever I manage to cobble together, which will probably not
>> be
>> very pretty or work as well as the Dell part.
>
> I wasn't questioning the composition, I was noting that you started
> out complaining about the price of the fan shroud "kit" at $38, then
> said that the alternative would be three times the cost, which by my
> math makes the $38 fan shroud kit a "bargain", contrary to your
> initial assertion.

I don't think that way.

If it would cost me $5000 to build my own, $38 is still a high price
for what is really a $15 fan.

But yeah, I understand the idea of relative cost, which is why I got it.

> Let me know if there is any appreciable increase in fan noise from
> the added fan - I assume since it is a "smart" fan that it won't run
> full-bore, like say a "classic" 1U server chassis.

I'm wondering what its basis for speed is.

The Dell primary 120mm fan never increases speed on my unit.

Of course, the heatsink is massive.

I ran BOINC all day on the T105 and the primary fan never increased
speed.

I opened the case and the CPU heatsink was barely warm.  It's a
quarter-inch of copper on top of the CPU, and a 5-inch tall copper
heat pipe and vane setup over that.

Seems to cool things off pretty well.  The power supply is the hottest
part of the system.