[geeks] [rescue] Thread drift :)

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Apr 16 10:54:22 CDT 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:38:08 -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> First, the background data:  In the UK, there exists something called
> the Official Secrets Act.  It's sort of the anti-FOIA.  Secrets are
> secret under the Official Secrets Act.  Certain non-secrets are also
> secret under the Official secrets Act, including that fact, so I just
> violated the Official Secrets Act by telling you that.

<muffled squawk as Phil is dragged off by the black helicopters to
spend the rest of his life in a British Government internment camp. A
secret one :) >

It actually doesn't work quite like this (and most closely resembles
the Espionage Act). Most of the provisions under the act have nothing
to do with secrets, and those that do only apply to certain groups
(crown servants and government contractors). Of course it's a lot less
draconian than it used to be, so most of the folklore relating to the
act applies to the pre-1989 versions.

> Once upon a time, there was a town in Sussex whose inhabitants became

A town in Sussex ? Now this is getting *really* unbelievable :)

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 Power corrupts; Powerpoint corrupts absolutely.