[geeks] Thoughts? (Cheap NAS with nice feature set)

Alois Hammer aloishammer at casearmour.net
Fri Apr 4 18:47:12 CDT 2008

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 16:34:05 -0400, "Joshua Boyd" <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>

> Anyway, I wouldn't stick so much on a firewall/NAT box.  I have a

I'm in an apartment, and not making a whole bucketful of money.  If I
*had* the space and money, I'd have ten or fifteen servers just for base
infrastructure.  (Or maybe not; maybe I'd be playing with Xen.  Dunno.)

> I could have sworn that 32bit linux could use PAE to take advantage of
> more than 4 gigs of physical ram.  Sure, any given application is still

Sure, but it just doesn't seem worth it.  And I'm missing a lot more RAM
than the dedicated 128MB for the IGD explains, in my HIGHMEM=4GB setup.
And I was migrating an existing 32-bit Gentoo install off a 1.4GHz
Tualatin with a gig of RAM.  It took more than long enough that a
ground-up reinstall wasn't an option at the time.  All the hardware's
new enough that I'm not sure I want to get bit by a driver + x86-64 bug.

Still not sure what to go with for my next OS, now that Gentoo is
dribbling away on a tide of lost interest.  There's Sabayon, but all the
cool kids are using Ubuntu...

> Err, why can't you claim Solaris experience from using OpenSolaris or
> Nexenta?

"So, you've got how many years of Solaris experience?"
"Six.  Well, eight if you count Nexenta."
"..."
"It's Solaris with a GNU userland."
"...so you've got six years?"

Besides, I'm guessing that OpenSolaris and the like have thrown out a
lot of the horrible things Sun's done to the userland in the last few
years, like the terrible "system resources manager" that attempts to
replace all the initscripts with URIs and binaries.  Hard to claim
Solaris experience if the only thing still Sun is the kernel and maybe a
few other bits.  Heck, a lot of what I'm doing in my present job is
relearning how limited the Solaris userland is compared to Real UNIX,
and working around that.

It's not nearly the same as claiming eight years Red Hat experience,
three years of which is working in shops that use CentOS instead of
paying Red Hat gobs of money.