[geeks] "Stress test" for Vista system - suggestions sought...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Sep 8 20:07:10 CDT 2007

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 18:31:17 -0500 (CDT)
Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

> OK, OK, keep your smart-aleck remarks to yourself, but I've just put
> together a system,a nd I am concerned about its "health" - I want to "burn
> it in" for a while (overnight should do it), and the machine currently has
> Vista installed - anyone have some ideas?

Have you booted it up?

If so, that's pretty harsh for Vista...

Don't actually do anything with it, that would be cruel.

Seriously though, the problem with stress testing Vista is that it will be
nearly impossible to tell if failures are due to hardware or Vista.

I would stress test it with something like NetBSD, memtest86, and as bare an
OS as you can get that will run mprime95 and maybe a really intensive
threaded I/O benchmark.

--
shannon / Well, I have entered the metallic years. Silver in my hair, gold in
-------'  my teeth, lead in my ass...  -- Sheldon Hall