[geeks] Speaking of the ASUS Eee

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 21:49:54 CST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 10:50 PM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

> >From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> >Date: 2007/11/29 Thu PM 08:00:15 CST
> >To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: Re: [geeks] Speaking of the ASUS Eee
>
> >On Nov 29, 2007, at 8:34 PM, Eric Railine wrote:
> >
> >> "For nearly a year, Fresno Unified school officials searched for a
> >> laptop that wouldn't clutter a student's desk.
> >>
> >> Thursday, school officials said they purchased 1,000 wireless laptops
> >> that fit on a desk alongside textbooks and notebooks, as well as give
> >> students the opportunity to build a digital portfolio of essays,
> >> drawings and other creations.
> >>
> >> "This is cool," said Chris Mitchell, a student at Bullard High School,
> >> where school officials unveiled the 7-inch wireless laptops."
> >
> >I've seen one of those things now.
> >
> >I don't see how anyone could get work done with one.  The keyboard is
> >just way too small for any serious input.
>
> Yea, and verily so!
>
> >Not bad for limited input apps, but it seems to me students might need
> >to do a lot of typing.
>
> Beats texting on a 3x4 keypad or a cellphone "full keyboard"
>
> >What was the idea behind making them so small?
>
> So, you know, they'd be small! To lower the barriers to carrying it
> everywhere - to capture the folks priced out of the Toshiba Libretto market
> - this is similar to the L50/L70/L100 IIRC.
>
> >It seems to me that making them with a full size keyboard but
> >otherwise making them cheap wouldn't add much cost.
>
> The 10" screen model will go along way to addressing more "mainstream"
> needs I suspect, but it will likely be priced higher than a "craptacular"
> Dell notebook...
>
> >If they were like that, I'd get one just for remote entering of notes,
> >since I probably pound keys more than anything else.
>
> You want a Tandy Model 100[0] or 200[1]
>
> Lionel
>
> [0] http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=233
>
> [1] http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=234

Concerning the keyboard, that I hear and read so many people complain about:

It works great a Paneras!
It is a surfing king!
It is a traveling dream!

For serious work, use the USB with a USB keybaord and mouse.
But why fix it when you can complain?

I have a friend who writes books (that are commercially published) on a
PDA's keyboard.
The ASUS Eee PC has a HUGE keyboard according to him.