[geeks] Speaking of the ASUS Eee

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Nov 29 20:00:15 CST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007, at 8:34 PM, Eric Railine wrote:

> "For nearly a year, Fresno Unified school officials searched for a
> laptop that wouldn't clutter a student's desk.
>
> Thursday, school officials said they purchased 1,000 wireless laptops
> that fit on a desk alongside textbooks and notebooks, as well as give
> students the opportunity to build a digital portfolio of essays,
> drawings and other creations.
>
> "This is cool," said Chris Mitchell, a student at Bullard High School,
> where school officials unveiled the 7-inch wireless laptops."

I've seen one of those things now.

I don't see how anyone could get work done with one.  The keyboard is
just way too small for any serious input.

Not bad for limited input apps, but it seems to me students might need
to do a lot of typing.

What was the idea behind making them so small?

It seems to me that making them with a full size keyboard but
otherwise making them cheap wouldn't add much cost.

If they were like that, I'd get one just for remote entering of notes,
since I probably pound keys more than anything else.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com