[geeks] server stand for a 2U server

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Nov 29 18:47:20 CST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007, at 1:02 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>> Date: 2007/11/27 Tue PM 12:31:34 CST
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: [geeks] server stand for a 2U server
>
>> I'm in need of a way to use a 2U server I do embedded programming on,
>> by putting it on a stand of some kind.
>>
>> I don't have room for a desk, rack, or room in my existing computer
>> cabinet for it.
>>
>> Ideally I'd have something like I've seen in hospitals, where the
>> computer was mounted on a pole with wheels, and there was space for a
>> keyboard and monitor on top of that.  It was nice because it took up
>> very little room even with a full desktop PC loaded on it.
>>
>> I've tried to find a standard computer stand, but the 2U server is
>> too
>> flat for the ones I've found and didn't have a stable enough base to
>> hold it up.
>>
>> Any ideas appreciated.
>
> What about re-stuffing the machine into a tower case and using the
> stands you've found? It seems that 2U chassis is causing you more
> problems than it is worth... Just an observation.

That's what I have VMware for... :)

Seriously, I have to have the same hardware the customer has because
eventually all testing happens on the real thing, and I also have to
have the unit to debug problems, find hardware issues, etc.

I avoid using the real hardware whenever possible, but I still need
the real thing nearby which is why I have it and I'm trying to fit it
into the smallest possible space.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com