[geeks] server stand for a 2U server

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Nov 29 18:44:50 CST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007, at 12:59 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>> Date: 2007/11/27 Tue PM 12:31:34 CST
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: [geeks] server stand for a 2U server
>
>> I'm in need of a way to use a 2U server I do embedded programming on,
>> by putting it on a stand of some kind.
>>
>> I don't have room for a desk, rack, or room in my existing computer
>> cabinet for it.
>>
>> Ideally I'd have something like I've seen in hospitals, where the
>> computer was mounted on a pole with wheels, and there was space for a
>> keyboard and monitor on top of that.  It was nice because it took up
>> very little room even with a full desktop PC loaded on it.
>>
>> I've tried to find a standard computer stand, but the 2U server is
>> too
>> flat for the ones I've found and didn't have a stable enough base to
>> hold it up.
>>
>> Any ideas appreciated.
>>
>> I am probably not explaining myself quite right, but the basic idea
>> is
>> to put a 2U server on something that I can move easily and that takes
>> up little space.
>>
>> Flat space is at a premium in my office so vertical mounting seems
>> the
>> best bet.
>
> What about air flow? I'm imagining you'd mount the server vertical,
> either front or left/right side facing up, altering the normal air
> flow...
>
> What about something like this:
>
> http://keysan.com/ksue026.htm - scroll down to Euroflex Stand-up
> workstation... (1/3 way down the page)

That's nice, but that's too big.  I'm thinking about it though, since
in the long term it might be worth the size.

I've seen something used in hospitals which is literally a pole on
wheels, with a server mounted to the pole, and a small LCD on top with
a keyboard tray.  It took up very little space horizontally.

However, just a CPU stand that would hold a 2U server might be
enough.  I usually run serial console to them anyway.  Having video on
the stand is just icing on the cake really.

The little FPD Mobile Computer Workstation further down would almost
work, but obviously won't hold a 46 pound 2U server.