[geeks] Opinions on T-Mobile and Verizon

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Nov 29 08:58:00 CST 2007

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Dan Sikorski wrote:
>
>> Phil Stracchino wrote:

>>> Unfortunately they can only amplify and rebroadcast signal that's there
>>> in the first place.  We don't have reliable GSM signal here even
>>> outside.  It's highly typical around here for me to pull out my phone at
>>> the school bus stop, see three bars, think "Aha!  I have signal!", try
>>> to dial a call, and watch the signal drop to zero and stay there before
>>> I can even finish dialling the call.
>>>

>> The one we have at our office has a directional antenna.  Point that
>> antenna and your nearest cell tower, and while the low gain
>> omnidirectional antenna of your phone near ground level might not get
>> any signal, a higher gain directional antenna can.  I'm not in that
>> office very often, so I cannot comment on how well it works first-hand,
>> but my coworkers reported a big improvement when it was first installed
>> about eight months ago.
>>

> Hmmm.  Interesting.
>
> Of course, it'd still only help in the vicinity of the house, where I
> have landline anyway.  What I really need is cell signal when I'm *not*
> at home.

:)  That's why I don't have one at home.  Land lines have rock solid
reliability when you compare them to wireless, and for the relatively
low cost, i prefer to use the land line when at home.  Also, in my case,
my employer is very easy going about personal use of the cell phone that
they pay for, so i have no need for a personal cell phone.

    -Dan Sikorski