[geeks] Using a mailing list for a DDOS attack

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 27 08:30:21 CST 2007

>From: sammy ominsky <s at avoidant.org>
>Date: 2007/11/26 Mon AM 03:56:25 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>

>On 26/11/2007, at 11:49, Joost van de Griek wrote:
>
>> card. While the "try it, it doesn't cost anything" suggestion in the
>> original
>> message is certainly dumb (and actually trying it is an offence when
>> there
>> isn't an emergency), I fail to see how this would in be "terrorist
>> motivated".
>
>Overwhelm emergency services lines.

I think this is simple, innocent ignorance, nothing more.

If the email included a line like the following, I'd agree - "It is best to call between X:XX AM/PM and Y:YY AM/PM, as that is when emergency services is set up to accomodate phone service 'testing'."

Without call time coordination, it is just a small annoyance, since I assume the 13,000 readers are scattered of multiple jurisdictions (their calls go to different centers),a nd they will not all read the email at the same time and try it immediately (of course, IMHO).

Lionel