[geeks] Surviving a DDoS

Ido Dubrawsky ido at dubrawsky.org
Tue Nov 27 07:48:20 CST 2007

Phil Stracchino Wrote: > >> der Mouse wrote: >>> After about 5 minutes
of investigating I discovered that I was the >>> recipient of an e-mail
resource starvation attack. Someone has a >>> botnet out there that was
flooding my e-mail server with bogus >>> connections trying to send
e-mail to randomly generated users in my >>> Silicon Security
(siliconsec.com) domain >> >> Do you have any particular reason to think
it's an attack per se rather >> than just blowback from a span run that
happened to forge users at your >> domain as the senders? I've seen that
happen to two domains I've been >> involved with (my own domain and one
of my employer's domains), and it >> looks a lot like a DDoS from the
victim's point of view, but isn't >> really one in the usual sense of
the term. > > That. One of my domains (babcom.com) is no longer usable
for email > because of the volume of spam; it has been redirected into a
spamcop.net > honeypot for about five years now. I talked to Ellen at
SpamCop a > couple weeks ago, and she told me the *baseline* spam rate
on that > domain is now about 300,000 deliveries per week, and when some
spammer > uses babcom.com as the forged source for a large spam run,
they've > occasionally had to shut off the feed from the domain because
the sheer > volume has brought SpamCop's mail servers to their knees.

I got the impression that this was not a blowback from spam for a few reasons.
The big clue in my mind is that there was no sender in the connections.  They
were showing up in my /var/log/syslog file as:

  Nov 24 18:39:05 sauron postfix/smtpd[707]: [ID 197553 mail.info] NOQUEUE:
reject
  : RCPT from skywalker.mytoys.com[217.111.80.4]: 550 5.1.1