[geeks] Using a mailing list for a DDOS attack

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Nov 26 06:31:34 CST 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 10:49:38AM +0100, Joost van de Griek wrote:
> I doubt this works outside the EU, unless your service provider linked 112 to
> the local emergency number. 112 is the standard European emergency number. You
> can indeed dial it from any cell phone, blocked or not, even without a SIM
> card. While the "try it, it doesn't cost anything" suggestion in the original
> message is certainly dumb (and actually trying it is an offence when there
> isn't an emergency), I fail to see how this would in be "terrorist
> motivated".

It's any easy way to prevent emergency calls from being answered. The mailing
list it was posted to has over 13,000 readers in a small geographical area.
If 1 in 10 called, just to try it, there would be almost no chance of
a real emergency call reaching the call center.

Because of the upcoming "peace conference", there are many terrorist
attacks being planned and while many have been stopped, some have
gotten through and people have died. With no way to call for aid
or report a bomb, etc, things could get much worse.

It's not just here, in Europe there have recently been terrorist attacks
in England and Spain and relgiously motivated riots are going on
as I write this in France.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838