[geeks] Portable Mac Compatible MP3 Recorders

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Nov 26 03:17:24 CST 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 12:44:50AM -0800, Rick Hamell wrote:
> Which all look good. But not a single one says it's Mac compatible, nor does
> my late night searching of Google.

That's a big issue. While the devices are supposed to emulate USB memory
sticks, which emulate small disk drives, the emulation is not perfect
in many of them.

MacOS being BSD based, uses a similar driver to Linux, which is different
enoough from the Windows drivers that many of the cheap MP3 players
won't work with them.

I've only done this with the Chinese ones that look like sticks of chewing
gum, and they don't work.

While I can't tell you which ones to use, I can tell you to avoid anything
that you are not specificaly told works by someone who uses it. In this case
it may be worth taking you Mac to a store and trying them before buying.
Make sure to try putting a song on, playing it, recording some speech,
copying to the computer and removing old files before you buy it.

BTW, 32kbps is more than enougth to record speech, unless your Grandfather
sings with a symphony orchestra, 320k will not give you anything.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838