[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Nov 25 21:11:57 CST 2007

> No, but the illiterate and innumerate graduates all around me have,
> and they paid good money to get good scores.

The only problem is that they don't know what their scores would be
without the "help".  From what I've seen, those "courses" are more
of a scam than a help.

> This is big business.

What isn't in this country?  I think you can raise your SAT English
score more by reading Scientific American than going to a Princeton
Review course.  No guarentees either.

> > Obviously, you have't been involved in one of those either.  We never
> > had a consultant for my school and I don't think any of the other
> > schools in my district have hire one.  They may be out there but it's
> > a little hard to study for how your bulding is laid out.  I really
> > wonder if you are just blowing smoke.
>
> The business is there and you can google for it yourself.

Just because it's there doesn't mean everyone is using it.  Their just
playing paniced administrators.  If you've been through it before, you
don't need a "consultant".  It's fairly easy to deal with, almost a
checklist.  I bet there is even someone who will give "anti-Columbine"
workshops.  Where there's a perceived need, there will be people
hawking their wares.

> I don't have to be involved in the process to see the business that is
> booming around it, or just ask the people who are involved about it,
> or see accredited schools that suck.  I've been in a few myself.

You have to be in it to see that you don't need what those businesses
are selling.  The only people that say the business is booming are
the people in the business.  It's like realators in NJ who say the
market is great when it has slowed greatly and in trouble.  Wishful
thinking.
I've been a few school that sucked too but survived.  Accredited
schools meet a certain basic level.  Doesn't mean they are great.
They could have a fantastic facility and just don't do the job well
or they could do the job but the facility is minimal or even
dangerous and could just pass.

Bob