[geeks] Firefox memory usage update

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Nov 24 12:49:53 CST 2007

Nadine (I think) posted about Firefox memory usage, and I went and
downloaded 2.0.0.8 for the Mac, and the Cache Status add-on.

In the last 24 hours, Firefox has stayed below 150MB, currently 132MB,
with a few torture tests.

Of course, I've seen that before and then it blew up, but I'm going to
use it for the weekend see how memory usage works out.

During the same period, Safari hits around 300MB.

If it stays small, I might start using Firefox again.  It seems
notably faster than Safari.

The major downside to Firefox is that its dock icon doesn't have a new
window feature.  It's a little bit painful to open a new window.

In fact, the way the Mac handles this in general is stupid, and it got
worse with Spaces.

I like Spaces, but it needs work, and I think all Mac app icons need
an open window context menu entry.

Another downside is that I've found a few sites where drop-down menus
don't work on Firefox 2.0.0.8 for the Mac, but seems to work for the
Linux version.

It's pretty obvious Firefox isn't a Mac app too.

Who knows, I'm going to do some more extensive tests later with
Firefox, Camino, and Safari just to see how they stack up.

Safari crashes on me too much still.

Camino is quite nice, but there are a couple of features I wish it had
that I miss a lot.

I think in the coming months now that Leopard is out, we'll see more
updates to the browsers.  Right now most of the hacks seem to work
poorly or not at all on Leopard.

I can't make any of the Camino or Safari add-ons work since updating
to Leopard.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com