[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Nov 24 10:01:32 CST 2007

>From: wa2egp at att.net
>Date: 2007/11/23 Fri PM 05:38:23 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] OLPCs for sale...

<snip>

>Again, depends.  My district pays (partially) for getting your
>master's degree but you have to work for at least three more
>years or you have to pay them back.  Nice perk.  Unfortunately,
>I can't understand why they pick the most expensive schools for
>the teachers to attend.  When I was working in a factory they
>offered to pay 85% of what it would cost for me to get an EE
>degree so it is not unheard of in business.  No. I did not
>get an EE or a master's.  But I have taken courses for my own
>edification and enjoyment at my expense

It used to be more common than it is today - when I had employers that matched for school, it was typically 100% for passing grades for all courses, as long as they were part of a degree program (not, say, a ceramics class taken out of curiousity)...

My BA in Humanities was funded by Mobil Oil, while I was a computer operator for them. There was no requirement that I stay at Mobil after I completed the course, but I did have start and complete the course while I was employed at Mobil, and they only paid upon completion - they wouldn't advance monies to pay for the course in advance...

Lionel