[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Fri Nov 23 17:38:23 CST 2007

> Programmers don't usually have the power to do much about it.

That's unfortunate.

> It's pretty normal outside of government jobs to work 50 hours or more
> per week, but you are paid for 40, across almost all professions.

I know some people do work at home just to keep ahead of other "go getters"
and get promoted or raises.  OF course, they do the same so it spirals.

> I think you should get paid for your overtime, but some people take
> that to extremes and include personal activities.

Yep.  I've seen abuses in overtime when I worked in a factory.

> If you require payment for every bit of work you do, yes that is
> whining.

My "talents" are worth money and I'll only give them away when
I choose to.  Isn't that the way most people feel even if they can't
follow through?

> Other unions do the same thing, and yes, I think that's whining too.
>
> If people are being reasonable and are trying to get paid for working
> overtime, that's fine, and I agree with them.
>
> But locally teachers have even managed to get paid for volunteer work,
> and other activities that everyone else does as part of self training
> and keeping themselves in shape.

Paid for volunteer work?  The only time I've seen that when some companies
required their employees to "give back to the community" for the company.
They may get paid while doing it.  In NJ teachers have to get 100 hours of
professional development in 5 years or our licenses can be pulled.  My
district provides some.  We have to do the rest at our expense.  I just
did a Saturday "workshop" which cost me $175.  I've never been reimbursed
like they claim I could for these workshops.  I do it on a weekend where
I "don't get paid" because of all the extra work I would have to do if
I went on a school day, just not worth the hassle.

> That's just not right.
>
> As a programmer I frequently spend hours studying.  I don't get paid
> for it.
>
> Local teachers do.

Depends.  They may be required.  You may not be except to do the job
better than someone else. Choice is yours.  It may not result in
definite termination if you don't. :)

> One of the more recent demands has been that they shouldn't have to
> pay for their education either, after all, other government workers
> get training for their jobs.

Again, depends.  My district pays (partially) for getting your
master's degree but you have to work for at least three more
years or you have to pay them back.  Nice perk.  Unfortunately,
I can't understand why they pick the most expensive schools for
the teachers to attend.  When I was working in a factory they
offered to pay 85% of what it would cost for me to get an EE
degree so it is not unheard of in business.  No. I did not
get an EE or a master's.  But I have taken courses for my own
edification and enjoyment at my expense

Bob