[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Thu Nov 22 12:54:47 CST 2007

> >That's why you don't do something for nothing because you will never get paid
> >for it in the future.  Unfortunately, teachers tend to confuse volunteerism
> >with professionalism.
>
> Teachers that refuse to do unpaid activities they used to do (field trips,
> prom, etc.) because of the status of the contract are only hurting the
> students. Teachers that refuse to do paid activities (bus duty, etc.)
> ultimately only hurt themselves (the teachers don't get the money, and the
> school district will find some "bodies" to do the work)

Whoa!  When are field trips unpaid?  If they are during the normal school day,
they are paid.  After hours are another thing unless you are a coach or club
adviser where you get paid.  If you are a chaprone on a field trip that is
not on school time, you are volunteering and you cannot be forced to do that.
If you are refusing to do paid activities which are part of your job, you lose
your job.  If it is something extra and you get extra pay you can refuse to
do it again (like refusing overtime).  Unfortunately some districts will force
you to do it (like my having to take a sixth class and the union has done
nothing, that's why I'm not happy with them) and sometimes they try to force
you to do it without pay and if you refuse they try to get you fired under
being insubordinate.  If the union doesn't help, you're screwed!

Bob