[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Nov 22 11:26:54 CST 2007

On Nov 22, 2007, at 12:04 AM, wa2egp at att.net wrote:

>> Yes, but remember you are a government worker, or at least I assume
>> you are.
>>
>> Are you paid less than most other government workers?
>
> Probably.  But then I probably have more "required" education and
> such that a lot of other government workers.  Looking at some
> government job, all you need is to be able to read and write
> English.

Then there are all the other positions that require more education
than a teacher, most of which don't get paid much either compared to
private sector.

>> I'm a computer programmer.  If I went to work for the government,
>> most
>> teachers would get paid more than I would, because the local and
>> state
>> government don't pay programmer's very well.  I have no idea why, but
>> that's how it is here.
>
> If I starting teaching, most teachers would get more than I would. :)
> I'm hoping that's not the comparison you're making.

You are talking about people already there making more money due to
time.

I'm talking about two people starting at the same time.  The teachers
start out higher and keep pace with the others.

> As far as programmers
> go, I don't know what their pay happens to be, but I imagine it's less
> than they want. :)

Almost everyone is paid less than they want.

> That was my point with teaching and other jobs with the same amount of
> required education.

But you cannot make that comparison across the government/private
barrier.

You have to make your comparisons in the same situations.

>> In the private sector, teacher salaries seem to vary a lot more than
>> other jobs.  I hear of private schools paying almost nothing, while
>> in
>> the same town another similar school will pay nearly twice as much.
>
> True.  Of course there could be a difference in requirements like
> degrees, education, experience and such.

No, I'm talking about the same person, just standing in a different
spot while working.

> Not around my little area of the world.  Most (and I say that in
> case there is one that doesn't) do not pay as much as public
> schools but also don't have the requirements public schools
> have for candidates.  Unfortunately, a lot provide an inferior
> education compared to public schools.  My school does get transfers
> from nonpublic schools and those students have a lot of "catching
> up" especially in math and science.  I'm in a "magnet" school so that
> may be the difference but the public perception is that nonpublic
> schools are always better.

The public schools are so bad here, it would require effort for any
other school or even a street teacher to do worse.